Panoramic Sunroof Leaking?

chill

Reactions
I am looking at purchasing a 2017 Alltrack SE, however, I have heard concerns about the panoramic sunroof leaking. Has anyone experienced this?

I emailed service managers at several different VW dealerships to see if they are seeing this issue.
One service manager said, "The panoramic sunroof has had some issues in the past, but we have not seen any leakage on the newest version sunroof."
Another service manager said, "We have seen one for a roof leak and we were able to repair it under warranty. It had a body seam that the weld was not done properly."
A third service manager said, "A large majority of the leaking issues with the panoramic sunroofs stems from the drains and channels not being properly cleaned during service visits. I always recommend to customers with vehicles equipped with sunroofs to have the drains and channels cleaned out with compressed air. Especially when vehicles are parked outside as opposed to in a carport or garage, debris can find its way through the seals and into the water channels that drain excess water during heavy rain. If the channels backup, they usually will leak onto the floorboards or right next to the sun visors."

Have you heard anything about this?

Reactions
I've heard about the blocked drains, but not the others.

Reactions
I've parked my car outside during hurricane Harvey without any issues.

Miks7

Reactions
I had asked several dealers during my shopping excursion about any problems with leaking. Talking with the service managers from a few of these dealers, no reported issues. I would highly recommend the panoramic roof as it really is cool once you have it.

Reactions
My Alltrack SE went in to the dealer today for leaking panoramic sunroof. Water stains on the cream headliner and front pillars. Original panoramic shade assembly was totally replaced earlier this year under warranty due to malfunctioning shade retraction (July/August 2017). So, at 10,000 miles in, I'm not really digging the panoramic roof right now.

ggads

Reactions
13,000 miles on my 2017 Alltrack SE. My daughter pointed out to me the water stains on the roof just last week. After a weekend trip to Boston that included heavy rain in Cape Cod, I opened the rear hatch to find a puddle of water sitting on the cargo cover. UGH! Damn VW! Had water drainage issues on a 2002 Passat years ago. Flooded the whole floor of the car. After just going through the whole TDi disaster with two Jetta TDi's, and now this on a brand new car. Damn VW! So unimpressed. Back to the dealer I go.

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
13,000 miles on my 2017 Alltrack SE. My daughter pointed out to me the water stains on the roof just last week. After a weekend trip to Boston that included heavy rain in Cape Cod, I opened the rear hatch to find a puddle of water sitting on the cargo cover. UGH! Damn VW! Had water drainage issues on a 2002 Passat years ago. Flooded the whole floor of the car. After just going through the whole TDi disaster with two Jetta TDi's, and now this on a brand new car. Damn VW! So unimpressed. Back to the dealer I go.
Wow sorry to hear.

ggads

Reactions
Hi all. Took my 2017 Alltrack in for the VW dealer to evaluate the leaking sunroof. They said they found a "kinked drainage tube in the right rear of the drain channel". They replaced the part as well as installed a new headliner. Here's to hoping it doesn't happen again! Love the car. But love the Audi Allroad more! Cheers.

Reactions
My leaking panoramic roof was diagnosed by VW warranty service with a bum weld that didn't allow a proper fit with the rubber widow seal rubber gasket. They removed the glass, ground down the faulty weld to spec, reinstalled the glass with new rubber seals. Also installed a new headliner to replace the water-stained one. I haven't been in the rain or even a car wash yet...

PaulGiz

Reactions
I had the panoramic sunroof in my 2010 Jetta Sportwagen. Mine didn't leak but it rattled, it needed to be reset constantly, and even with the sunshade it was often too bright in the car during the summer. I did clean out the drains regularly myself.

I actually wanted the SE trim on my Alltrack, but ended up with the S just to avoid the sunroof.

P.

Miks7

Reactions
How do you clean the drains out on these? I was going to ask someone about this as I had seen it mentioned, figured I better figure out where they are and what to look for.

greazy

Reactions
Long time lurker...back into a VAG product after about 15 years. Grew up with a few corrados that scared me. 2017 AllTrack SE , 900 miles...still has temp tags. I am in round 2 of headliner water issues on the right/rear side.

Noticed it initially last week; took it in and they replaced 2 pinched drain lines? running to the hatch, and unclogged 4 drains. I picked the car up later on the same day and had the car wash guy leave a hose on it for 5 minutes and watched it drain out on the bottom. They ordered a replacement head liner which will be installed once they receive it in a few weeks.

In the below pics you can see the original smaller stain (darker color) and then the larger stain is the new one.

3 days later we've had a mild rain, I have a GIANT water stain in the same location. Put another service claim into VM NA and hoping to get some resolution. A little dismayed about this whole situation .

greazy

Reactions
Also; Can someone verify the 2 attached images show up? Couldn't quite figure it out.

Thanks

Attachments

Nokian

Reactions
Most cars do not leak

Also; Can someone verify the 2 attached images show up? Couldn't quite figure it out.

Thanks
I see 'em.

For the record: I'm on my 3rd VW sun roof since 1999. NO leaks, ever. I am aware that even non-sun-roofed VW do leak--the welds at the rear, above the lift gate have been the problem. And just because this and other sites report the leaks, MOST cars do not leak.

Mpls VW

Reactions
Mine leaks too

My Alltrack SE went in to the dealer today for leaking panoramic sunroof. Water stains on the cream headliner and front pillars. Original panoramic shade assembly was totally replaced earlier this year under warranty due to malfunctioning shade retraction (July/August 2017). So, at 10,000 miles in, I'm not really digging the panoramic roof right now.
I just bought a new 2017 Alltrack SE a week ago and noticed water leaking this morning. The headliner is soaked and was dripping. It?s back at the dealership now for repairs. No mention that they?ve seen this before but I didn?t ask either. Has yours been fixed and been trouble free since? Very disappointing for a brand new car. Less than 100 miles on it.

Reactions
Mpls VW:

Sorry to read that you are experiencing the leaking sunroof issue at less than 100 miles. Mine was repaired, the dealer removed the entire glass panel, "ground down a faulty weld", and replaced the rubber seal around the panoramic glass. So far (3000 miles later), there seems to be no leaking. It's been wintertime since mine was repaired, and I have not opened the panoramic roof since the repair. So, mine has been through maybe 4 or 5 car washes and 3 or 4 rainstorms, so far, no leaking. Good Luck!

greazy

Reactions
Mpls VW:

Sorry to read that you are experiencing the leaking sunroof issue at less than 100 miles. Mine was repaired, the dealer removed the entire glass panel, "ground down a faulty weld", and replaced the rubber seal around the panoramic glass. So far (3000 miles later), there seems to be no leaking. It's been wintertime since mine was repaired, and I have not opened the panoramic roof since the repair. So, mine has been through maybe 4 or 5 car washes and 3 or 4 rainstorms, so far, no leaking. Good Luck!

Well; after 2 weeks Im picking the car up tomorrow. It sounds like a weld seam was sanded down, new updated gasket, headliner, etc. Really hoping I've got a similar outcome. The car has been at the shop more than I've driven it up until this point. Fingers crossed!

greazy

Reactions
Update; the car is back!

Well; after 2 weeks Im picking the car up tomorrow. It sounds like a weld seam was sanded down, new updated gasket, headliner, etc. Really hoping I've got a similar outcome. The car has been at the shop more than I've driven it up until this point. Fingers crossed!

Three weeks later; I've picked up the car. I had some dealership quality issues with them replacing headliner; black grease everywhere on a brand new liner, broken grab handles, not re-installing the dome lights , just generally not a great experience from a new car/ dealership service level. They did give me a rental so I guess it was fine.

I finally washed the car yesterday and opened the sunroof a few times. It seems to have been fixed and the dealer replaced everything that was not addressed during the first few visits as it related to cleanliness, etc. Truly hoping this solves my issues!